English Literature will build on the knowledge, understanding and skills established at GCSE, introducing you to the discipline of advanced literary studies, and requires reading of all the major literary genres of poetry, prose and drama.
- Standard Entry Requirements
- Grade 4 (C) in English Language or Literature and a minimum of a 3 (D) in Maths and
- At least 5 GCSEs grade 4 (C) or above (1 Vocational or Technical Qualification at Merit or above may be counted) and
- Average GCSE (best 8) of at least 4 (38 on the old points table) and
- Grade 4 (C or Merit), at least, in any subject previously studied
- Subject Specific Entry Requirements
- 6 (B) in English (Lit or Lang)
During the course you will have the opportunity to attend academic conferences on English Literature which will feature prominent scholars and writers.
In previous years we have heard Jeanette Winterson and Carol Ann Duffy read. There will also be the opportunity to go on theatre trips. In previous years we have seen productions of War Horse and Much Ado About Nothing.
- Attend punctually and regularly
- Work hard and complete all work within specified deadlines
- Participate in class activity and discussions
- Take responsibility for your own learning
- Treat everyone with respect
Find more courses
You can choose to start with 3 or 4 subjects. Please note that a diploma course counts as 2 subjects and you cannot take more than one diploma course. For more information about combinations please view each subjects course information and take a look at our entry requirements.Find more